Throughout the academic year, students can take advantage of Leysin’s ideal location in the heart of Europe to visit our neighbors in France, Italy and Germany, as well as the many historic cities in Switzerland. Paris, Milan and Zurich are all around three hours away by train. Only in Switzerland, with its reliable transport networks and modern infrastructure, is this possible.
Leysin American School organizes such visits several times each semester for students and staff, but students may also travel independently on certain weekends, with parental approval.
LAS offers cultural trips to destinations in Switzerland and Western Europe in October, and to all points in Europe in May and June, under the supervision of Faculty. All students are asked to participate in these grade level trips and will receive an academic grade based on their contribution and performance during the trip.
Cultural trips provide an opportunity for students to explore and experience the history, cultural customs and physical traditions of the countries visited, and to develop a sense of connection with their classmates.
Fall Cultural Trips
- 7th & 8th – Crans Montana, Valais Canton
- 9th – Lugano, Ticino Canton
- 10th – Outward Bound in Bavaria, Germany
- 11th – French to Nice, Spanish to Malaga, Berlin, Basel, Interlaken, Lugano, Zürich, The Hague
- 12th – Theory of Knowledge Trips to Florence, Rome & Venice
Spring Cultural Trips
- 7th & 8th – Chamonix, France
- 9th – Cinque Terre, Italy
- 10th – Amal , Sardinia Biking, Sicily & Venice
- 11th – Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Lisbon Surfing, Croatia Kayaking, Stockholm, Habitat to Bucharest
- 12th – Barcelona, Cyprus, Dubrovnik, Athens
The LAS Student Life/Activities Department offers chaperoned travel options on virtually every weekend of the school year to a variety of destinations for recreation and cultural enrichment. All trips are publicized, and students may sign up at the Student Life Office.
Weekend city destinations regularly include:
Special trips to musicals in Zürich, art exhibitions, thermal baths in Lavey les Bains, the Geneva Car Show, the Red Cross Museum, CERN and Swiss Festivals are often organized as a result of Faculty & student requests.
Recreational outings in the Fall and Spring can include:
- whitewater rafting
- hiking to mountain huts
- rock climbing
- via ferrata climbing
- biking by Lake Geneva
Popular winter ski trips include day and weekend excursions to world famous Swiss resorts such as:
- Portes du Soleil