Each year, saying goodbye to the graduating class is a bittersweet moment. However, knowing that they had a fantastic experience at LAS and seeing them develop into compassionate, responsible, and innovative citizens of the world gives us confidence in their bright futures and makes us very proud to have been a part of their journeys along the way!
The sun was shining on graduation day this year and our students all looked so excited in their caps and gowns. We had an exciting schedule awaiting our graduating class and their family members over the weekend, and our students made the most of their last days on campus before becoming permanent members of our alumni community.
The weekend began with the Mayor's Reception at the Fromagerie in Leysin. During this reception, sponsored by the town council, guests learned about the restaurant's history and mingled with students, faculty, and family members. This was a fantastic way for families to reunite or get to know each other further, and it was great to try some excellent wines and cheeses; staples of Swiss cuisine!
On graduation day, students and faculty met outside the Feydey church where the ceremony began at 14:00. Our students were so lucky with the stunning weather and looked so smart in their graduation attire! The ceremony included speeches from faculty member Mike Brinkmeyer, valedictorian Danielle ‘23, and keynote speaker Mattias Horseman ‘10, as well as a message to graduates from Dr. & Mrs. K. Steven & Doris Ott, just to name a few. Intertwined between these speeches were phenomenal musical performances from the LAS staff and students and Choir League Leysin. In addition, each student had the opportunity to walk across the stage and celebrate their achievements. The following students and alumni won awards:
- Most Outstanding Athletes: Askhat & Melanie
- Outstanding Contribution to Athletics: Askhat
- Sportsmanship Award: Adam
- Belle Époque West Dorm Award: Ria & Hawa
- Belle Époque Central Dorm Award: Nobuomi
- Duke of Edinburgh International Award Certificates: Yung-Cheng, Sean Chuxuan, Ria, and Nobuomi
- Alpine Institute Award: Teodoro
- Salutatorians: Maja & Ria
- Valedictorian: Danielle
- Sigrid & Fred Ott Founders Award: Maja & Ria
- Faculty Award for Innovation: Ria
- Maurizio Fabbri Award for Compassion: Adam
- Award for Responsibility: Sean Chuxuan
- ECIS Award for International Understanding: Yung-Cheng
- The Doris & Steven Ott Award for Excellence: Kiera
- Alumni of the Year: Clayton Gentry '93
- Young Alumni of the Year: Kymani Montgomery '12
It was such a happy day for our community, and we were pleased to share it with so many families and friends in our community!
Following the graduation ceremony in the picturesque church at Feydey, our entire LAS community enjoyed a food and drinks reception at the Belle Époque campus, where graduates collected their diplomas, cap and gown photos, and the Leysin Mayor’s Ambassador certificate. Students also had the opportunity to collect professional photographer photos too! This reception was an excellent way for students to share their achievements with everyone in the community and celebrate their time at LAS with their families, teachers, and friends around them. What a happy occasion!
We wish our graduating Class of 2023 all the best for the future; we can’t wait to see all that you achieve! Although we are sad to see you go, we are also excited to see you in the future at our alumni events! Please keep in touch with the Advancement team at email@example.com, and let us know all you get up to in the coming years. Good luck!