History Timeline

1875

The first road from the valley was extended to Leysin, followed by a cog railway in 1897. 

1890

Sick children were sent to Leysin with hope that its sunny alpine climate would restore their health. 

1892

Leysin's first "boom" owes its growth to Tuberculosis. The first clinic, the Grand Hotel, now the Belle Époque Campus of LAS, was built to serve 120 patients. 

1903

With the arrival of the "sun Doctor", "Dr. August Rollier, Leysin became famous worldwide. 

1904

Czar Nicholas II and entourage are at the Grand Hotel to receive treatment. 

1911

Igor Stravinsky, a frequent visitor to the Grand Hotel where his wife was a patient, composes the "Rites of Spring".

1930

Out of 5,698 people living in Leysin, 244 were farmers and 3,000 were TB patients in 70 different countries. 

1931

Mahatma Gandhi has discussions with patients at Leysin when he visits French author Romain Rolland. 

1939

Newly married, Sigrid and Fred Ott shared a passion for education and a strong international perspective. 

1943

Dr. Selman Waksman discovers the medicine that would eventually eradicate Tuberculosis. 

1949

Sigrid Ott launched the summer "Yank Campus", the first of the International Ranger Campus, for the children of US military families throughout Europe. 

1960

First meeting of the Swiss company, Leysin American School SA (LASSA) at Grand Hotel. Contract was signed to rent Savoy building. 

1961

On September 18th, LAS opened its doors with 89 students and 12 teachers. 

1963

American College of Switzerland was founded to give LAS graduates a chance to continue their studies in Leysin. 

1982

Steven and Doris Ott assumed leadership roles and developed strategies for recruitment, accreditation and expansion. 

1987

LAS became the first Swiss international boarding school to win accreditation in the European Council of International Schools (ECIS) and the US Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. 

1991

LAS was the first boarding school in Switzerland to introduce the International Baccalaureate Programme. 

1998

LAS was the first school ever to be awarded the International Organization for Standardization ISO 9001 status. 

2005

70% ownership of LAS passed to the Swiss Foundation for Advancement of International Education; management stayed within the founding family. 

2007

The Town Council named Fred and Sigrid Ott honorary citizens of Leysin. 

2010

LAS opened the doors to the Belle Époque campus, previously the Grand Hotel. 

2016

LAS founder, Sigrid Ott, celebrated her 100th birthday and the new Magic Mountain Athletic Center is open to students. 

 

 

Where next?